Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Detox Day 2

Yesterday went really well, I drank Barley-Life as suggested and drank water too. I was so thirsty it was unbelievable. I think because of all the Benadryl most likely. I had a headache most of the day but not to bad. I just kept drinking water. You want to know the weird thing, I had the taste of the Prednisone in my mouth all day long. You know that yucky taste when you take prescriptions with just water, almost chalky and chemically. Yup, that one was the only thing I could taste all day. Gross! Talk about detoxing. I knew a girl that when she detoxed she had the taste of metal for days because of some serious medicine she had to take for a couple years. Creepy.
By the time dinner came around I was feeling really nauseous. I decided to eat a salad with expeller pressed safflower oil, lemon and herb salt. I also had a half of a baked potato with Bragg Amino Acid I usually only use Braggs on stirfry instead of soy sauce but since I am not allowed to have sour cream or butter (dairy), I tried it and loved it. I had some dried fruit around 9:00 and went to bed at 10 pm. I was exhausted. I slept great though and woke up feeling so much better. All the puffiness went away and I lost four pounds of water weight! Thank goodness.

Now please understand me I am not one for weighing all the time. I usually notice by the way my clothes are fitting and then by curiousity I weigh myself. I really do not like the constant weighing and measuring. I used to be a slave to the scale and I have really tried my best not to be. I would much rather tell by the way my clothes fit. I knew something was up this Sunday when I could barely put on old faithful, my favorite jeans that fit perfect. That being said, I fell much better and my jeans fit better too.

Today, I woke up bright-eyed at 7:00 am with the kids and my husband. I made smoothies for all of us. I drank my Barley-life and then my smoothie and off we went to mommy and me class.

By about 11:00 am, I was dying of thirst, for some reason I did not bring any water with me. I raced home got a big nalgene bottle of water and took right off to go to Kira's speech class at 11:45. When she finished I went to the store and bought stuff for lunch and dinner.

I got home and made hummus, super easy and tasty, I will put the recipe below. I also made a Red Bell pepper sauce too for dipping. I sliced up mushrooms, cucumber, carrots, and grape tomatoes and made platefuls for each of us. Yes, my kids eat raw veggies. Kira has taken a little bit of time to like them but Enzo has loved raw veggies from day one. We all ate our yummy veggies and for a treat for the kids they had unsweetened apple sauce with cinnamon. They gobbled every last bite, except for the tomatoes on Kira's plate. I make her try a half of one each time, but I still put them on her plate in hopes that one day she will like them. They are now napping and hence I am blogging.

The thing I notice is when we eat this way they are regular! If not like clockwork. Kira has always had constipation issues no matter how healthy I think we eat, but lately she has been so regular and happy about it. She used to dread going to the bathroom, who would not be the same way if they are constipated. Bless her little heart.

So today was a great day and I feel so good already. I love how quickly you diet effects you, well I like it how a healthy diet effects you right away.

Tonight I am making my own pesto sauce and putting it on rice noodles with pan roasted grape tomatoes. I will have my Barley-life and big salad then enjoy the pasta. I figured the pasta was fine because she says you can eat brown rice and all the rice pasta is brown rice and water.

Hummus
2 cans Chick-peas drained
1/2 cup tahini
garlic herb salt to taste
extra virgin olive oil
about 1/2 cup water
juice of one lemon
blend in your food processor or blender. I have a Vita-Mix and I use it.

Depending on how thick you want it add more or less olive oil.
Enjoy with fresh veggies

Red Bell Pepper Sauce

Pan Roast two red bell peppers sliced in sections for about ten minutes with a lid on.
Put peppers
juice of one lemon
extra virgin olive oil couple drops at a time
herb salt to taste
in your food processor or blender and blend until creamy and smooth.

You can add some of the red bell pepper sauce to your hummus and blend it for a different hummus. Drizzle the pepper sauce on avocados, salad whatever sounds good.
Enjoy

No comments: