Thursday, September 30, 2010

Amazing Vegan Mac n Cheese

I love mac n cheese and who doesn't!?! When we first went off cow dairy products I made my mac n cheese with goat cheese but since we are off animal products I have stopped making it for some time. We went to Trader Joe's they had their pumpkin puree out in front and it reminded me of yummy mac n cheese. I bought some and made it last night. I used nutritional yeast instead of Parmesan cheese and it was so good! The family gobbled it up with fresh green beans.
Here is the recipe:

Vegan Mac n Cheese

Ingredients:
Bag of Trader Joe's Penne Rice Noodles cooked according to package
3/4 can of pumpkin puree
3 Tb nutritional yeast
~1/2 c rice milk
1 Tb earth balance butter
Mary-Ann's seasoning salt or pinch of nutmeg and salt & pepper

Cook noodles according to package (for rice noodles I usually cook them 9-10 minutes but not more since they will fall apart). Drain, lightly rinse and return to pan. Add the pumpkin immediately. Then add nutritional yeast, rice milk and butter. Mix until blended well and add salt to taste. You might need to keep warm over low heat in order to mix well if noodles cooled down too much.

Serve immediately with a yummy green vegetable like broccoli or green beans.
Enjoy

No comments: