Wednesday, September 22, 2010

School and Morning Snack-Banana Bread Muffins

Well I guess I have been busy since it has been since August for a post....opps! I have been very busy but loving every minute of it. Kira has started school at home and loves it. We started Zoo Phonics in the summer when my sister brought it over from NZ. The kids love it and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a phonics program. It is fun and interactive for the kids, while teaching them (and me) phonics. I did not learn phonics as a kid, so it is interesting for me to learn the process. We started to read a couple little easy reading books, cat on the mat etc. Then she wanted to read more. So we read the first two pages of "The Fire Cat". She did great and loved every minute of it. She is getting some sight words and wants to learn more. I love seeing her excitement and do not want to drown it out with constant lessons and pounding it into her brain. But rather take our time and let her lead the way with the speed of learning. As long as she wants to keep reading in a session, we will.
I guess I am doing a mixture of traditional schooling but with a small part of unschooling in it too. The whole unschooling idea intrigues me. I love the idea of them studying what their interests are and as a parent you can lead the learning by certain books. I read this one blog on how the mom would put out a book on insects on the kitchen table in the morning and then the kids would go through it and it would produce the appetite for more. The kids would go outside with jars, shovels and magnifying glasses then have a day full of learning all untraditional. Anyways, I want to incorporate that type of freedom in teaching Kira and Enzo and encourage their interests to come out!

I have been baking more now that is is a little cooler...not that it ever really got hot this summer. There were a few days here and there but nothing crazy. I just realized that I do love to bake and I know why now. When I have something baking and the kids smell it and I overhear them talk to one another about it in wonder, it is so cute. In example, I was baking banana bread for our neighbor and Enzo and Kira are coloring in the living room. Enzo turns to Kira and says "Kira, do you smell that?" She replies "Yes, what do you think it is?" He replies "Something yummy!" Then they came to me and asked when it was ready and when could they eat it! It was so great that their senses were heightened and it peaked their interest! So cute! So I guess I am a baker after all.

This recipe is great, easy and quick. For some reason I thought banana bread was more labor intense than this. It is also vegan which is great, but full of flavor! I have tweaked the recipe a bit, it originally had one cup of sugar and it only needs 1/4 cup because the bananas are so ripe and sweet. I want to mess around more with it but for now this recipe is great!


Gluten Free Banana Bread Muffins
3 ripe bananas
1/4 c oil
1/4 c cane sugar
2 c GF flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 c chopped walnuts

Mash bananas and mix well with oil and sugar.
In a separate bowl sift flour, xanthan gum, salt, and baking soda.
Mix banana mixture and flour mixture.
Fold in walnuts
Using 1/4 c fill muffin tins about 3/4 full.
Yields 12 muffins

Bake at 360 degrees for about 20 minutes.
I bake them in my toaster oven for about 16-18 minutes.
My oven heats up the whole house and I not ready for that kind of heat :)

Kira does not like walnuts but Enzo does. So I split the mixture and only use 1/2 c walnuts in Enzo's and top the muffins with walnuts so I know which one is which. It just takes a second to do and then I do not have her picking apart the muffins :)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Linn said...

Thanks for the recipe...it sounds "yummy"! I loved the post...remembering the blessings of being a mom with young children. So Sweet!