Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Things We Do For Beauty

Now I have always been the type to do whatever to my hair. It has been black, red, brown with chunky highlights, platinum, pink and dishwater blond(natural color). I have had every possible cut too. Razor short about half an inch long, bob, the "Rachel" haircut, long past my elbows. Since December I have had the top half of my hair platinum and the bottom portion brown. My husband does not care either way as long as it is not costing him the same as a car payment on my hair. I am lucky to have a good friend who cuts hair and she gives me the friend discount, which I love and she does an amazing job with all of my thick hair. However she does not do color, so I am left with myself in that department. I think I have made enough mistakes to know what to do and what not to do. I have found that if you are doing your own hair color you need to find a beauty supply in which you have confidence in their opinion. I love Sally Beauty Supply but have found very little confidence in the help there for anything difficult.

Last night I had time and decided to color my roots. I thought why not weave a color and beach?! Wrong! I had to go over the roots again with the bleach. Much better, but now I find myself wanting to tweak the color. Do I dare? I love the platinum, however I think a toner or color might make it a little less dramatic. Well I am going to help my friend with her hair today and I will buy stuff for me too. I am dyeing the bottom a darker brown and the top a silver white. I think that will look cool.

So my friend decided to add highlights to her hair. I told her to use this certain bleach with violet undertones and it would reduce the brassiness. I have weaved my sister's hair many times and never fail her hair turns out great. However she had someone with their cosmetologist license, mind you, advise differently. She told her a color would be better and that the bleach would be too drastic. She followed their advice and was calling me this morning in deep regret. There are not too many things I think I truly understand, for some reason weaving highlights I think I get. Anyways long story short I am going over after Enzo naps and fix her hair.

You may think "Why not leave it to the professionals?" When they charge an exorbitant amount for color it is easy to want to do yourself. With all of the information on the web now a days you do not have to make all the mistakes I have. I also cut my daughter's hair. I googled A-line cut and found all the directions to cut a perfect A-line bob. I get compliments all the time on her hair and no one believes I do it. Why pay someone who she does not know to cut her hair for $40 or probably more for the difficulty. When I can do it myself for free. I put on a movie, put her on top of the little tykes table in the bumbo seat and have a lot of patience. It usually takes about an hour. Well worth it if you ask me.

No comments: