Saturday, March 14, 2009

Aaron Roohk June 6, 1972- March 7, 2009

Today with a conflicted heart I said goodbye to a dear friend. Aaron was 36 years old when he passed away on last Saturday morning after a nine year battle with Brain Cancer. He had three tumors over the course of his sickness. He was a fighter. Today was the Celebration of his life (memorial service) at Rock Harbor Church up in Costa Mesa. I know without a doubt that today he is dancing and singing in Heaven with Our Savior! The celebration of his life was beautiful and full of laughter, talk about cars, computers and a person so full of God's love and happiness. No matter what pain he was in, when you went to see him and encourage him, you left having been encouraged. He was always giving everything he had, whether time, money and ear to listen or a shoulder to lean on.

I will remember Aaron for always telling it to me straight. He always knew how to talk to me with truth and love in a non-judgemental way. He would have no problem calling a spade a spade, but with a sweet smile that you could not deny. His smile, was big and bright and it matched his big blue eyes. Even though Aaron and I did not see each other for sometimes years at a time, we were always able to start where we left off with our friendship. He knew me through bad boyfriends and even worse hair. I remember once he met Eric, he pulled me aside and told me I did a good job picking him out and that it was about time I found a keeper.

My sweet dear friend called back in in the winter of 2008 and told me "I have not got enough attention lately so I thought I would get another tumor so that people would pay attention to me." That was Aaron always laughing and joking about his condition. When I saw him at the hospital later that day he did not want to talk about him He wanted to know what I was up. I shared with him about my family and gave him my blog. He immediately accessed it on his phone and gave me a hard time for not formatting my photos correctly. He told me when he got out of the hospital he would show me. He was the computer pro, gadget guy and a connoisseur of cars. He had over 21 cars in his 20 years of having a drivers license.

I thank God that I knew him and because I knew him I am a better person. He was selfless at all times and truly live with God's purpose.

I will miss you my dear sweet Aaron, but I know this is not goodbye but rather just like the other times in our friendship that I won't see you for a while, but we will pick up our friendship in Heaven and sing and dance together in Our Wonderful Father's House.

Aaron's favorite verse

Isa 40:31 But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew [their] strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.

2 comments:

charles ray loudermilk said...

its been a while since aaron left us behind... but i think of him oft. Funny we never met face to face but we talked over the phone from his time in CO. to his moving back to Cal.

we became brothers over the phone of all things.. our like for bimmers and especially our love for Jesus made us talk and email all the time.

He never got to meet my family nor I his...but when I go out to cali I will hit up his family and friends for sure...

going kiwi said...

I went to school with Aaron but was his younger brother's age. He was very close friends with my older brother at first. Then through the years he definitely was an older brother to me. He would always ask me who I was dating and if they were good to me. His opinion was always important to me. So I was happy when he met my husband and told me I did good :) Miss him dearly too.