Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Homemade Gluten Free Rice Torillas

Made rice tortillas last night so that we could have Tuesday taco night.
They were so good! I ran out of rice flour so I ground a rice mux my Father-in-law hade made of brown rice and wild rice. I found the recipe on Gluten Free Cooking School blog. I changed a few things but the idea was the same.

GF Flour Mix
1 c. Brown rice Flour
1 c. Tapioca Starch
2/3 c Garbonzo Flour
1/3 c. Potato starch

2 c. Gluten Free Flour Mix (a little different from the one I used for pancakes)
1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt
1 c. warm water

I mixed the dry together and then add the warm water, mixing until everything was wet. Then I scooped out about a 1/4 c or so onto lightly sprayed canola oil aluminum foil (out of wax paper) and topped it with plastic wrap and rolled it out. Then I got my skillet on medium heat. I carefully removed the plastic wrap and flopped the foil on the skillet tortilla down. I waited for it to cook a little and carefully removed the foil. Cooking about a minute and then flipping and cooking until little brown spots appeared. Now here is the trick! Once they are cooked youplace them in a plastic ziploc and keep it slightly open. This will keep your tortillas soft until you eat. So while one is cooking you can roll out the next one and repeat.

Yummy yummy. These turned out good and I made meximelts for the kids, I took Goat gouda cheese and turkey meat and made a little melt. They loved them.
I do not think it was that time consuming. it probably took me about a hour for everything. cooking the turkey, making tortillas and chopping all of the goodies for the tacos up. Not bad.

1 comment:

Linda Z said...

Sounds pretty good to me! You're such a good mom to do all these things for your kiddos! :)

ARe you settling in? Can't wait to see you!