Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day 2 of 28 Days

Spending: Nada

Menu:
Breakfast:
Cold Cereal
Coffee and Sun butter tortilla roll ups (for me)

Snack:
Ants on a log

Lunch:
Sun Butter Roll ups with apple slices
Leftovers from last night (for me and Eric)

Snack:
Almonds

Dinner:
Potato Taquitos w/ Rice and Beans

Potato Taquitos
3 potatoes
Corn tortillas
Canola Oil

Peel potatoes and cube up into a pot. Cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Cook for about 10 minutes until potatoes start crumbling. Drain and mash with a fork add a dash salt and pepper. Warm your corn tortillas on the skillet or in the microwave so that it does not break when you roll it. I used a little less than 1/4 cup of potato for each roll up and made 21 taquitos. I rolled all of my tacos first and used a toothpick to keep them rolled. In my cast iron skillet heat oil over medium/high. When the oil is hot place the taquitos in the pan. Brown and turn and place on a paper towel when brown all around, about five minutes.

Refried Beans

2 1/2 cups of dry pinto beans (about 1 lb or 450gm)
3 quarts of water
1/2 cup chopped onion (optional)
1-2 Tbsp Lard**

Salt to taste
** Lard?!?! I know I am totally off the wagon but it makes them taste so good so we are not talking about it right now :)

Rinse the beans in water and remove any small stones, pieces of dirt, or bad beans.
I like to do the overnight soak method of putting the beans in a stockpot and covering with 6-8 cups of cold water, cover overnight.

Or you can
Quick soak like I happened to do today.
Bring 6-8 to almost boil in a kettle and add it to the stockpot with rinsed beans. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Turn off heat and cover for a hour. Drain.

Either way soak before :)

Cooking the Beans
Again bring 6-8 cups of water almost to boil in your kettle add to stockpot with drained, soaked beans. Bring to a nice simmer for about 2 hours with the lid slightly open. After two hours I turn off the heat and let them sit for a while. Depending on how much water is left I may strain some out. When it is closer to diner time I mash them. In a saute pan I cook up the onions. Add onions and lard/oil and salt to the beans. Over low to medium heat
I mash and stir until desired thickness is achieved.

Rice

2 cups cooked rice
1/4 onion finely chopped
1 cup diced tomatoes**
Braggs Amino Acid
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Garlic
Salt and Pepper

**I buy the 108oz tin of diced tomatoes from Costco for $2.99 compared to the eight pack of 14oz can diced tomatoes for $6 something. I get the Ziploc quart size freezer bags and measure out about 2 cups worth into each bag and freeze. Oh yeah! It comes out .02 an ounce compared to .06 an ounce. That means the individual cans are three times more expensive. But wait she did not figure in the cost of the ziploc, you say. Ah ha! I have in the since that I bought the bags
and have rinsed them and used them again for the same purpose. Sweet!

In a large skillet saute onions with a dash of salt and pepper. Add tomatoes when onions are translucent. Add rice and mix well. Drizzle Braggs over rice, not too much because it will make it too salty, so do a little and taste and add more needed. Add garlic and cumin. Disperse rice evenly over the skillet and cook over low until the bottom is almost browning.


Toppings for taquitos
Sour Cream
Shredded Cheese
Shredded Lettuce
Diced Tomatoes
Salsa
Chopped Green Onions
Sriracha
Whatever you like on tacos works.
The trick is to put sour cream on top of the taquito and then dump all the other toppings on top and it will stick better.

Sunday we went to Costco and I made Eric a deal that if he fed the kids outside I would shop. Turns out I killed it there! I was done before they even finished eating, oh yeah! It helped that it 11:15 and no one was there, yes that is the time to shop there. So when I joined them Eric had a churro. Of course the kids eyes got huge looking at the tasty treat. This is how the dialogue went:
Kira: What is that Daddy?
Eric: Yummy
Kira: What is in it?
Eric: Yummy

Kira looks at me and says
"Mom can you make some yummy fings (things)?"
Of course!

So tonight we had Yummy for dessert aka cinnamon sugar tortillas

Yummy
Corn tortillas
Sugar
Cinnamon
Butter

On a square griddle over medium heat, warm up tortillas. Spread butter very lightly over on side and flip it so that it is face down on griddle. Butter the other side and sprinkle a spoonful of sugar and a dash of cinnamon. If making more than 3 or 4 make a little bowl of cinnamon sugar.
On a plate make another cinnamon and sugar mixture. Once the sugar on the tortillas is almost melted take off griddle. Carefully roll up tortilla and roll it in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Serve while warm. Sticky wicky mess and it is worth the three to four napkins. Yummy is right.

We had our neighbors over tonight and had a great evening
I made four taquitos per person with beans and rice with 2-3 yummy's each.

It was a great day we went to the park with the glorious sun out and I was productive around the house with a few odds and ends. Another great day

No comments: