Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tomato Soup and Star Muffins

Star Cornbread Muffins

I got a star muffin pan forever ago and have been waiting for some good reason to use it, dur. Then I thought why not make dinner a little fun tonight and I busted it out!



My sweet boy on his fourth bowl and third star.


I looked to see if I ever posted my tomato soup recipe and did not see it, so here it is. By the way, the cookbook is still in the works. I forgot this last month was going to be Enzo and Kira's birthdays but I am making headway.




Tomato Soup



Ingredients

2 cans of diced tomatoes- 28 oz

2-3 small yams or sweet potatoes thick slices

2 carrots thick slices

1 medium shallot sliced

3 c water

1-2 tsp Mary-Ann's herb salt

1/2 c Raw Cashews



Directions:

In a large pot over medium-high heat cook shallots with 1 tsp of herb salt for about 1-2 minutes lightly browning. Then add the yams/sweet potatoes and carrots. Stirring and cooking for about 5 minutes or until lightly brown. Add tomatoes and one cup of water and bring to a boil.

Simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes, until carrots and yams are tender. Blend one to two batches depending on the size of your blender. *Please be careful to make sure your lid is on tight. This soup is hot and if the lid is not on tight you may get burned.* Blend one batch with the cashews until completely blended. Once pureed put back in pot and add the two cups and simmer on low until ready to serve.


I use the cashews instead of milk or cream to give the creamy texture, more like cream of tomato soup. I you don't like cream of tomato soup then do not add the cashews.

Enjoy!




No comments: