Wednesday, June 4, 2008

30 Days of Nothing

Alright so I read this blog about 30 days of nothing and it really struck a cord with me. Basically this lady was talking about going for thirty days without buying anything other than your basic needs. It is a fast from consumerism. Wow, especially here in Southern Orange County where it is all about consumerism. I honestly do not know if I would be able to do this. I want to try though, I think it will be a good lesson for myself and Kira too. I am going to pray about doing it July 1st.

To be totally honest I thought about doing it just for the next week and I am feeling pretty silly that I can not even do that because of other arrangements. For instance, I have a haircut appointment, it is my brother's birthday party at a restaurant on Wednesday, we are camping for the weekend in the Central Coast....and so on. I think this is going to be very difficult. I think if I really get organized and realize what will be difficult and over come those issues in the next month

I bet I can do it. I don't think sleeping in the same room will be an issue as we already do that. Maybe we will eat rice one day for every meal. I think it will be the little things that will get me. I do not go and get coffee every morning and I do not eat out that much but we do occasionally.

I also want to make it clear that I am not doing this as a holier than thou thing by any means. I want to do this to get a perspective to where my priorities are. Especially when we are trying to save every penny. I know it will change me and I hope it at least gets someone els thinking too.

1 comment:

Kelley said...

I LOVE IT! I think it's a great idea and easier than it seems. Why not start with 2 weeks? Or, if there is something you want to "pick-up", ask a friend if they have the item. Keep us posted!