Thursday, May 6, 2010

Chinese No Chicken Salad




I was at a potluck and there was a chinese chicken salad with the ramen noodles. Oh, how I love me a good chinese salad. I do not know if it was the three years of working at Stix Restaurant right out of high school, they started Pick Up Stix or what but I am a sucker for sesame seeds, manadrin oranges and cabbage. It can't be that hard because it is only a few ingredients right? Right! There are a plethora of ways to make this salad but this is what I did.

Chinese No Chicken Salad

Recipe
1/2 head of cabbage chopped -I like it pretty chopped
1 green onion chopped
1/4 c almonds slivered or chopped
1/2 can of mandarin oranges

Dressing
3 Tb rice vinegar
2 Tb oil
1-2 Tb toasted sesame seeds
1 Tb sugar
pinch of brown sugar

Mix everything together but mandarin oranges in a big bowl and toss with dressing. Sprinkle oranges on top and serve
Serves 4
I have been looking for a raw starter for the nights I cook stir fry. I do not know why I did not think of this before. Cabbage is so cheap and so good for you. Eric and I ate it on Monday night and I ate the rest for lunch on Tuesday. I think I could eat this everyday for lunch. I am going to try it with agave syrup next time instead of sugar and I am going to make some rice noodles to add on top. Although it did not really need it because of the crunchy almonds.
Enjoy.
I am a leftover queen for lunch and I am thankful that my family loves them too.
What is your favorite quick easy lunch to make?

No comments: