Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mango Salsa and Cilantro-Lime Rice




We have been eating a lot of rice and beans and beans and rice around here. I am trying to make it different and change it up a little. I know they are not the best but we have been eating tostadas with them and it is a fun change. It is definitely a treat and the kids love it! They are journeying out of the normal just beans and are trying new toppings! Kira had lettuce on hers and Enzo had sliced tomatoes on his. Both of them dip them in guacamole.

We went to Chipotle on Friday night with Eric's parents. I had never been there, so it was fun to try something new. I had a bare burrito with vegatarian black beans, cilantro-lime rice, roasted chili-corn salsa, lettuce, and fresh tomato salsa. It was yummy and fairly inexpensive, nothing was over $6. I love new ideas.

Food 4 Less had mangos on sale for $.78 each. I got three and decided it was time for some mango salsa! A true sign summer is coming!

Mango Salsa

2 mangos, peeled and chopped
1 medium jalapeno diced with seeds
2 green onions chopped
juice of one lime
salt to taste
handful of cilantro chopped

Mix all ingredients and chill for about an hour for more flavor. You can make it the day before and it will be spicier. *Blend a little if you want it less chunky.

Cilantro-Lime Rice

2-3 cups of cooked rice
juice of one lime
handful of cilantro finely chopped
salt to taste
1 lime sliced
Mix all ingredients together in a dish and serve with one lime slice on the side.



Clockwise: Refried beans, guacamole, tostadas, limes, mango salsa, cilantro, cilantro-lime rice, and non-jalapeno mango salsa. Those are napkins I made from $2.50 a yard fabric, red and white gingham and orange and white gingham. So fun and easy, I ran them through the serger and made ten of them in less than an hour.

So for dinner I decided to put everything on the table, instead of on the stovetop. I find I am constantly getting up and fixing more food for the kids and I do not get to sit. It was only a few extra dishes but TOTALLY worth it! I was able to sit the entire time for dinner. I am doing this every night if I can.

No comments: