Saturday, March 20, 2010

Arugula Pesto with Roasted Tomatoes



I did not have tomato sauce or enough tomatoes to make a sauce. So instead I wanted to make a pesto sauce. Then I realized I did not have basil. I love being at the end of the groceries for the week. No really, some really good, different recipes come out of desperation. I googled to see if there was even such a thing of arugula pesto. Sure enough there was a recipe for it. So I made my own recipe.

Arugula Pesto with Roasted Tomatoes

Recipe
Ingredients
Cooked Pasta-I used Brown Rice Tube Pasta
1 cup Raw Almonds
1-1 1/2 cups Arugula leaves, stem removed
2-3 large garlic cloves
about 1/2 cup olive oil
Mary-Ann's Garlic Salt
2 cups grape tomatoes

I put almonds, arugula, and garlic in the vita-mix/blender. Slowly increase the speed and drizzle in oil until creamy.

**I found it was a little rich and added about a 1/4 water because I knew the kids might not like it. Thus it turned a lighter green not dark green like pesto usually is :)**

In a large sauce pan throw in tomatoes and sprinkle with garlic salt. Pan roast for about five seven minutes. You want them soft and blackened a bit. In a large serving dish or the pot you cooked the pasta in add the pesto sauce a large spoonful at a time until coated and then add the tomatoes and serve.

I have used cashews before and it gives it an even creamier taste. It is really good and no cheese.
Either freeze the leftover sauce or store and use later that week.

1 comment:

Ellena F said...

Great read thankyyou