Thursday, March 25, 2010

Let Go

Enzo's Left Hand

I was reading my devotion yesterday and thought of Enzo. She talks about letting go.
Letting go of all the things you are trying to control.

"As you relax more and more, your grasping hand gradually opens up, releasing your prized possession into My care." from Jesus Calling by Sarah Young

One of the verses she refers to:

For I, the Lord your God, will hold your right hand, saying "Fear not I will help you"
Isaiah 41:13


Enzo's left side is weakened due to Cerebral Palsy.
He has a hard time relaxing his left hand. When he is concentrating on something, he tends to fist his left hand. It is common in people with CP. I have to tell him to relax and slowly he will, opening his hand and then I can take whatever is in his hand. A lot of time he does not even know that he has something in his hand. He forgets and I am not quite sure of the sensation/feeling he has on the left side.

This reminded me how often do we forget we are even carrying a burden, holding onto loved ones, trying to keep in control or caring about our possessions. We do not even know we are doing it. We have grown numb to the sensation of the weight or pressure of what we are holding onto.

God wants us to let go. We need to relax. We need to have confidence and faith in Him. We can feel secure with Him on our side. He is here to help, He WANTS to help. We need Him to help us. We clearly can not do it on our own.


The picture above is of his sweet left hand open. I slowly placed it on mine. I caressed it softly, encouraged him to open it and to relax. He was so sweet and listened, did not question and honored my request. We sat there hand in hand for a few seconds. He looked up at me and smiled. What a tender moment of trust.

1 comment:

Linda Z said...

Keilah, somehow I missed that Enzo had been diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. You are such a great mom and show such patience and kindness with him. God did such a wonderful thing putting the 2 of you together. :)