Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Preparing for the Day

I just read my little devotional and had to share about it.


"I have prepared this day for you with the most tender concern and attention to detail. Instead of approaching the day as a blank page that you need to fill up, try living it in responsive mode: being on the lookout for all that I am doing"
From Jesus Calling By: Sarah Young

Easier said than done huh? We have to have complete trust in God knowing that His ways are perfect.

The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord.
And He delights in his way.
Though he fall, he shall not utterly cast down;
For the Lord upholds him with His hand.

Psalm 37:23-24

As for God, His way is perfect;
the word of the Lord is proven.
He is a shield to all who trust in Him.
For who is God except the Lord?
And who is a rock, except our God?
...He makes my feet like the feet of deer.
And sets me on high places.

Psalm 18:30-31 & 33


How awesome to know that His ways are perfect. We don't have to be and could not possible be perfect. If we trust in Him and remember constantly that He has our hand. We are like the little toddler in a parking lot. We have no idea that there are cars moving forward and backwards. We do not know the direction we need to go. We are at the height of the wheels and only see a percentage of the big picture. We are not paying attention, all we are looking at is the pink bubble gum on the ground or the occasional puddle. We HAVE to hold onto His hand in order to survive.

He has created each day new. I am so thankful for that. It is a blank day, I always want to fill it up with every possible thing. However this last week has shown me that my plans mean absolutely nothing. Here are some examples:

Sunday: I notice Enzo's eye was really red in the outside corner on the white of his eye. We go the ER and the doctor says it is just an irritation and will go away.

Monday: Enzo had his therapy in the morning. We took the bus both ways and had a great morning. I was planning on getting the laundry done once I was home and clean parts of the house. Instead Enzo's eye was worse than Sunday, it is red almost all the way to his iris. We go to the ER again. This time on the bus, Enzo is crying bloody murder because we are going to the doctor, the WHOLE WAY (seven minutes). Luckily, there are only about seven college students on the bus. We get there and the doctor tells me he DOES have a scratch on his sclera (the white of the eye), like the doctor last night noted. Umm, he did not tell me that. They give up drops and sent us on our merry little way.

Tuesday: Eric's day off. He is planning on working on the cars. I am planning on cleaning house, prepping for our weekly dinner with neighbors. He takes his paperwork in to his job and his motorcycle won't start back up. I have to pick him up in the middle of my routine. It throws the whole day off.

So you see, you can plan all you want but it does not always work out that way. If we look at the day through God's eyes then we might be able to see what He wants accomplished, not what we want accomplished. How hard is that. I am going to try today to really be aware of His plan for the day. Do I really need to take care of ALL the household duties? No, I can do a couple of things and really enjoy time with my kids and talk with them and relish in the moment of this season. That is all they want out of the day, your attention, your unconditional love and hugs, lots of hugs.

I fall victim to this all the time, I do things that drown out His voice. It is my own fault. I know the enemy contributes to it as well but I need to own up to what my habits are.

How do you prepare for the day?
Do you listen for His voice?
Or is His voice drowned out by the cell phone, t.v., babies crying, boss hassling you, or the computer?

1 comment:

Linda Z said...

"We are at the height of the wheels and only see a percentage of the big picture."

I think this sums it all up! There is so much more going on that we can't even begin to see. I'm learning that so much through the adoption process right now. Thanks for the reminder! So true!