Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Red Beans and Rice

I had seen this on a few blogs on their menu planning. I have never had and thought why not try it. It is cheap and easy. Plus from what I read it is a traditional Monday meal. I had already soaked and cooked Pink Beans on Sunday. Monday was a bit crazy with all the appointments and bus time, so I definitely needed a easy meal and this was. So instead of Red Beans I used Pink beans and it was really good. Everyone liked it except Kira, she had her mind set on Spaghetti for dinner, so she did not even try it but had fruit instead. Oh well.

I made this referring to this recipe as a guide of spices.

Pink Beans and Rice

1 lb. Pink Beans cooked
1 onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
2-3 cloves garlic
2-3 stalks of celery
1-2 tsp of paprika
1 bay leaf
couple sprigs of fresh Thyme
Salt and Pepper
1 Tb Braggs
1 Tb Olive oil

In a large pot heat oil and add onions, celery, peppers, garlic and bay leaf. Cook until onions are almost transparent. Add cooked pink beans, paprika and thyme. Add braggs and s&p. Simmer until the sauce is thick. Serve over rice and add a little Sriracha.

Now, I still have a lot of white rice left over so I am switching on and off of brown rice and white in order not to be wasteful. So we are still eating some refined but not nearly as much as before, maybe only 5% of our diet is refined.

We did not eat all of the beans so I froze the rest in order to have a full meal on another night.

No comments: